Tuesday 28 July 2015

Review of Thanatomorphose (Éric Falardeau 2012) Well you gone and died now havent you , thats just rotten ...




Thanatomorphose . 2012 (Éric Falardeau)

Starring Kayden Rose, Émile Beaudry, Roch-Denis Gagnon


So I recently sat down to watch this Body Horror shocker from French/Canadian upstart director Éric Falardeau this is his debut movie but it isn't his first foray behind the camera.... he holds a masters degree in Film studies and has had his shorts shown all around the world.......


A cover or artwork can say a thousand things and this artwork I can say drawn me in straight away the vivid image of a rotting body and of course the meaning behind Thanatomorphose ... "is an hellenic word meaning the visible signs of an organism's decomposition caused by death. One day, a young and beautiful girl a wakes up and finds her flesh rotting."


People put this up to a comparison to Contracted that came out around the same time, but I think that's a little highly praised what I am saying is that it isn't horrific but it isn't the masterpiece that this tagline gave it "A CLAUSTROPHOBIC SICKENING AND ODDLY UPLIFTING EXPERIENCE" at the 100 minute mark this was my face .... (Taken from the movie)



Its really hard to pin-point what actually went wrong with the movie really it had the substance to be really good but there's so many elements that made it not work out in my eyes...

The story, lady (Kayden Rose I will talk about her later) wakes up after living a substandard and quite boring and monotonous life and pretty much at the end of caring and on the verge of giving up finds bruises on her body and thinks nothing of it, hair falling out .... well this is just the start .

There isn't a story Kayden literally wakes up and starts to rot from no apparent reason this is my first gripe with the movie, the direction of it just didn't do it for me visually this is a masterpiece and should of been an exhibition of Eric's work and clearly looked like it was as the effects were pretty much one of the saving graces of the movie for me ...


If this is the direction Éric intended for the audience for it to be a showcase of his effects work then well fair play to him because that aspect of the movie paid off but, the rest I felt myself scratching also to the fact where is this going the story literally crept up on me like a tapeworm...

For me the saving grace of the movie was casting Kayden Rose she pretty much took the part and carried it like it was the last thing she was acting upon, she played the character perfectly the mannerisms of a rotting corpse who pretty much didn't give a damn slapped a big of makeup on and carried on with her life, woops my skin is rotten and all black never mind ill get dressed and have a wash maybe I'm just overly dirty today ....


Overall as a showcase of Éric Falardeau's work as a debut director it would of been pretty much amazing as the effects aspects and the casting was near on perfect it was the whole idea of the story and how it was directed let it down completely ....

4/10 ... Although saying that I will follow Éric  and his work on the hope this was just a taster of things to come .... 





No comments:

Post a Comment