Saturday 25 July 2015

Interview with Bob Ferreira "The Carnage Collection" 2015 ...

Up next we have the very outspoken and doesn't shy away from a story or discussion Bob Ferreira of Point & Shoot Films ..



Matt : Everyone has a background comical past or stories that have lead them to where they are today would u like to share yours?

Bob : God, I wouldn't know where to begin, to be honest. When it comes to my life, movies have always been stupidly important to me. I grew up with parents who worked at a drive-in theatre, then a movie theatre, and then I started working in one when I was 13, and did that for almost 15 years. So I've always had a passion for watching movies. In 2001, my brothers and I got a camera and started shooting little shorts. We mostly made horror movies, because they are our favourite, but also they're the easiest stories to tell in just a matter of minutes. Our early stuff was bad. BAD. We got better over time, our at least I like to think so. We tried our hand at longer films after awhile, I think the longest we did was like 20 or 25 minutes. A psychological movie called "Splinter." Anyway, long story short, where I am today is that I'm 32-years-old, and I am AGAIN working at a movie theatre (God, I love free movies) and I'm shooting my first feature film, finally, called The Carnage Collection, which is an anthology horror flick we're working on right now.

Matt: The carnage collection is shaping up nicely and with the first short slay bells in the works what can we expect for the rest ?

Bob: First of all, thanks for the review of "Slay Bells." I'm glad you liked it. As for what to expect, the short answer is nothing like "Slay Bells." That was a comedy/horror, and although we may have another quick bit in there for a segment that is also comedy, the movie will be all sorts of different styles and feelings, as it were. I'm shooting one right now called "Trip," and that one is completely different. Dark, dirtier, and, well, trippier. It's about drugs, so it's a little heavier than Slay Bells, haha. There is also going to be one called "Stuffed," about a woman who is obsessed with her stuffed animals. That one is super sexually charged, but not in the way you'd think. We want each segment to bring something different to the table. And those are just the segments I'm working on. My brother, Derek, is working on his own segments with his wife and some other people where he lives, several hours away. Then we'll piece it all together.



Matt: What was your inspiration for "the carnage collection" and or inspirational directors /people that lead you to make this?

Bob: Oh sure, we love horror movies. Always have. I mean, when it comes to inspiration for an anthology horror, we definitely have Creepshow in mind, as one, especially for segments like Slay Bells, which is more comedic like Creepshow. I also personally am inspired by movies like Trick R Treat and shows like The Twilight Zone and Tales From The Crypt. Of course, I'm also inspired by certain filmmakers. John Waters has always been my favorite director, and I love the sick, perverted sense of humor and just odd-ball feeling to his films. In the world of horror or underground, we're all certainly inspired by Ryan Nicholson, who is actually working with us on this, and I'm also a big fan of people like Alex & Marissa Murphy or James & Mae Bell, who are making some of the most talked-about films in the underground, and they really and truly inspire my work greatly. If I could perfectly combine the black, sarcastic comedy of the Murphys and join it with the look and horror of the Bells work, I'd feel completely satisfied in my underground film.

Matt: Your quite a knowledgeable and outspoken guy, what stories have you heard over the years in the industry ?

Bob: To be frank, my knowledge of films of the underground is a lot more limited. I started watching things like August Underground when I was in college, but I am a massive fan of Hollywood horror films, too, which is perhaps something I might take some shit for. I don't really care what anyone thinks about my tastes, though. I fucking love big budget horror like SCREAM, for example, and of course a lot of the 80s series, Freddy, Jason, what have you. My favorite horror film of all time is Nosferatu, though, so I really am all over the spectrum of what I enjoy watching...but, I also don't care if you think I'm so loser for liking these movies, either. I've gotten shit for my taste before, and I couldn't possibly care less. I don't see a problem with being outspoken or opinionated, personally, as long as you're not a dick about it, and I don't believe that I am. I never tell someone they're stupid for liking Will Ferrell movies, even though I think he's a giant piece of asshole. That's not the viewers fault for liking him. So they have different tastes, good for them. I have the Care Bears Movie 2 on my DVD shelf right next to Gutterballs and Mordum. I think a true film lover is an anomaly like that. As far as stories...eh, don't have a ton of stories yet as I haven't had the chance to work with a lot of people, but there will be some, no doubt. Haha.

Matt: You recently attended SinS and helped put on Pain shack as a Friday night treat for people how was the whole experience ?

Bob: I was at SinS, yes, and the Pain Shack screening, in my opinion, went amazing. I didn't have anything to do with putting it on, I was just graciously invited by Alex and Marissa, and my buddy Justin and his girl Jennie, whose room the screening was in. It was a very laid back time, and there was a running commentary from Alex about things, so that was very cool. My biggest contribution to that was just the giant bag of popcorn every was eating from. I've still got half the bag left 2 weeks later!



Matt: What have been currently your favourite movies of 2015 in the indie horror community?

Bob: Well for starters, I think James & Mae Bell's TANTRUM is just amazing. Visually, it's just beautiful...but also quite dark and sick at points. The music, by Dan DeTitta's band SLINGS is just great. I'm happy to be working with them on The Carnage Collection, too. Other than Tantrum, though, everyone should definitely see PAIN SHACK by Alex & Marissa Murphy, and also keep an eye for their film BLOWING RASPBERRIES, which released a trailer a little bit ago and it looks just great. I am really looking forward to seeing what Marcus Koch does with BLOODSHOCK, as at SinS there was a rough edit, and what I saw was very great. Dan Ellis, who plays the lead, is just incredible in the film. I think the final edit will be amazing. Speaking of rough edits, I'd also be remiss to not mention Ryan Nicholson's GUTTERBALLS 2, which I had the chance to see a version of as well. That's something that most people will not be expecting. It's coming out very soon, and it's going to really get people talking.

Matt: Finally last but not least what's for the future after The carnage collection ?

Bob: Haha...AFTER The Carnage Collection? I have to get through THAT first! Haha. No, but really, I hope that people see it, and they like it, and I hope to make more films. Point & Shoot Films has been around for ages, and we'll always keep that going, whether it's more shorts, or whatever. We haven't really decided, as our focus is to finish this and make it as great as possible. I will also say, though, that I'd love to branch from horror and do other things as well. I have some ideas for a short, dramatic series I'd like to do. My girl Felisia and I have our own little company we're going to be working on after The Carnage Collection - Live Slow Studios - which will hopefully allow me to work on things that aren't strictly horror related.
Thanks for the questions, and for letting me talk shop a bit. If anyone wants to follow our page, check out pics from the movie, or just wants more info, check us out on Facebook: www.facebook.com/pointandshootfilms

It was such a pleasure interviewing Bob and hopefully you all will enjoy the insight he gives as well,.

No comments:

Post a Comment